Trying to make friends

Discuss anything related to your real life here. This can include things that are going well, things you would like to improve, or even complaints and rants.
TechWiz18 Offline
Wizard
Reactions score: 154
Discord: TechWiz18

Trying to make friends

Post by TechWiz18 »

I don't know if this is just a human thing, but it takes so much energy and effort for me to try and make friends. Also, once I establish a friendship with someone, I have this expectation that they would be putting the same effort into being a friend.

What I have learned is that while you might be willing to do a lot in a friendship doesn't mean the other person will feel like they need to reciprocate. That's turned out to be tough for me.

However, on the flip side I often feel like a terrible friend because I often have great intentions but then day's, sometimes weeks or months get away from me and I realize I haven't reached out to someone in a long time and I feel terrible.
I bet you can't see me now!
Progrumz Online!
Site Admin
Reactions score: 439
Discord: @progrumz
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Trying to make friends

Post by Progrumz »

This has always been a tough one for me as well. I think that people usually get to the point where they just can't tolerate me anymore. XD My best friend and I have been friends for about twelve years, and I have another close friend whom I have known for nearly twenty years. Other than that, I don't have many friends, and the few friends that I do have are people I met within the last few years. I find it more difficult to meet people now than, say, fifteen or twenty years ago.
no puedes leer esto
TechWiz18 Offline
Wizard

Post by TechWiz18 »

I've always struggled with balancing things in my life. Now having a family of my own in some way for the better I prioritize them over most other people but on the flip side it makes building friendships tricky.
Progrumz Online!
Site Admin

Post by Progrumz »

It definitely does. I feel like people are more disconnected than ever before as well, which adds another layer of complexity to meeting new people...
no puedes leer esto
TechWiz18 Offline
Wizard

Post by TechWiz18 »

Oh absolutely, which is crazy we are both connected more than ever before but also disconnected more than ever before.
Progrumz Online!
Site Admin

Post by Progrumz »

Indeed. Even the Internet used to be a great way to find new people to talk to, but that has diminished as people increasingly focus on large social media services. On social media, you're just part of the background noise.
no puedes leer esto
Juneberry Offline
Sage
Reactions score: 55
Discord: .juneberry
Pronouns: she/her/her(s)

Post by Juneberry »

Friendship can be hard. I still struggle with it (especially offline) but for me the hard part is just keeping in touch and keeping my trust in people because anxiety is fun.
Hulk Offline
Sage
Reactions score: 77

Post by Hulk »

All my friends are online friends mostly. I don't really have any friends in real life. I just hang around with my family and my partner. We do have a few people we catch up with from time to time but that's about it.

My partner is better at making friends.
TechWiz18 Offline
Wizard

Post by TechWiz18 »

Juneberry wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:10 pm Friendship can be hard. I still struggle with it (especially offline) but for me the hard part is just keeping in touch and keeping my trust in people because anxiety is fun.
I've found myself slow to trust and even once I do trust people my brain likes to still doubt 😭 it's kind of annoying. Especially when they haven't done anything to break that trust.
Juneberry Offline
Sage
Reactions score: 55
Discord: .juneberry
Pronouns: she/her/her(s)

Post by Juneberry »

TechWiz18 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:45 pm
Juneberry wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:10 pm Friendship can be hard. I still struggle with it (especially offline) but for me the hard part is just keeping in touch and keeping my trust in people because anxiety is fun.
I've found myself slow to trust and even once I do trust people my brain likes to still doubt 😭 it's kind of annoying. Especially when they haven't done anything to break that trust.
Now try having a personality disorder that is basically just amplified trust issues. xD